Saturday, July 13, 2013

Got the Brake Pads from Speedtech

Friday July 12. Received an email from Sherman @ Speedtech, my Hawks HPS pads arrived.

On the way there I had some time to kill so I stop by Mastermind to look at Yoyos and found....
I need to paint the mirrors white

  
So cute

Before leaving Markham I go see my buddy Marty the Mechanic.  He gave me some tips on doing the brake pad install.   So back at the Ranch, time for the brake installation. 
In the end I didn't need to use that green lube.  I did get it for free from the Partsource guy!


First lay out all your tools.
 The R53 JCW brakes are a floating caliper design.  Just need to remove two bolts, slide out the caliper and rest it somewhere.  Don't let it hang as they are heavy and you do not want to damage your brake lines.
  
Sprayed with brake cleaner and used an old container to catch the mess
Using a flat head screw driver, pry out the old pads.  Use the C-clamp and the old brake pad to compress the piston on the caliper.
I used cardboard from the Hawk box and wrapped it around the old dirty pad.



Put in the Hawks!  On the drivers side there is a brake wear sensor, just pop that out with the screw driver.  Add the anti-squeel grease to the piston lip and back of the pads.  Use your flathead screw driver to spread it around like peanut butter.  Replace the caliper and locktite the bolts.  Quick n easy!

Here is a comparisson between new pads and old.

Wash n wax the car and you are Done for the day!



No comments:

Post a Comment